As of June, 2013, we welcomed Rev. Father Leo Schefe, who was assigned to be our full-time priest by the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston, after a six-month assignment at St. George.
Front row, from left to right: Maria Bradshaw, Heather Riley, Peter Bradshaw, Fr. Leo Schefe, George Karabakakis, Nick Lupinin, Joe Truman, and Ernie Conides
|Stewardship Chairperson||Christmas Bazaar Chair||Website and Newletter Editor-in-Chief|
|Building Superintendent||Hellenic Hall Rentals||Presbytera Candace Schefe
(857) 210-7945 or email@example.com
|Greek School Principal|
We are a family-friendly parish and welcome visitors and inquirers for worship and all parish activities. Our goal as a parish is to live by the Orthodox faith and traditions. We strive to be faithful to Christ, the Gospel, and the teachings of the saints in all aspects of parish life: worship, Christian ministries, and parish social gatherings. Our church is affiliated with the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.
St. George Greek Orthodox Church has developed By-Laws appended to the Special Regulations and Uniform Parish Regulations of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and approved by the Metropolis of Boston. The By-Laws were adopted at a legally constituted Parish Assembly Meeting on Sunday, February 15, 1998 and most recently revised on February 27, 2012. Click here to read the By-Laws.
St. George Greek Orthodox Church of Keene, NH was officially founded in 1931. In the early years, lacking a place of worship and a permanent priest, Greek Orthodox faithful gathered for liturgical services in various places in Keene on an irregular basis. On September 30, 1928, an agreement between thirty-two Keene families and the Greek Orthodox Church of Fitchburg was reached by which the priest of the Fitchburg Church would travel to Keene to conduct services once a month
In July 1941, the present property was purchased. Appropriate modifications were made, including the “iconostasis” or partition between the altar and the main part of the Church, colored glass windows, and a Church office, to make it serviceable to the community. The interior of the Church was completely renovated to its present form in the early 1960’s.
Dedicated on March 25, 1944, the rear carriage house, which came with the property, had been renovated earlier into a hall. Built partly on the site of the old carriage house, Hellenic Hall was opened and dedicated in 2000 as a cultural and educational center. Connected to the Church building itself, this beautiful and expansive hall harmonized architecturally with the Church building.