Lent is upon us. Fasting is one of the disciplines of Lent in which we use moderation in food, drink, and entertainment.
Levels of Fasting
STRICT FASTING: No meat and dairy products throughout Lent and Holy Week.
MODERATE FASTING: The above during the first week, the third week, and Holy Week, plus every Wednesday and Friday.
MINIMAL FASTING: The above Wednesdays and Fridays, and Holy Week.
WHEN FASTING we take into consideration age, health, and circumstances.
Benefits of Fasting
- Teaches us self-discipline.
- Leads to spiritual focusing on God.
- Controls our sinful passions.
- Makes prayer more effective.
- Gives us greater moral alertness and clarity of mind.
- Reminds us of those who are hungry and suffer.
- Recalls the fasting of Jesus, the saints, and faithful Christians throughout the ages.
- Helps us to live by the teachings of Christ.
- Contributes to our physical health.
10. Makes us think about the right diet throughout the year.
The above was extracted from an article by Fr. Theodore Stylianopoulos. The complete article can be found at http://stgeorgekeene.nh.goarch.org/1083/father-teds-march-2011-message/
Recipes and Lenten Food Ideas
Below are some links to recipes and Lenten food ideas.
For recipes.com vegan recipes: http://recipes.com/index.php?q=Vegan%20Recipes&token=DnQ1hraUptsKEwjjvrm4iM2nAhUUetoKHZN0_2YYASASMPDQsAg4HlDw0LAIUNWsrw9QqYu3EFCL6_8TUJP3nCFQz5mvKVCErYrIAQ
Recipe sources for Orthodox fasting: http://aggreen.net/food/recipes.html
For Greek Orthodox fasting (Lenten) recipes: http://greekfood.about.com/od/greekfastingrecipes/Greek_Orthodox_Fasting_Lenten_Recipes.htm
For allrecipes.com vegan recipes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Cooking/Vegetarian/Vegan/Top.aspx